Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Healer Inaction

A picture tells a story of a thousand words! I swear to you, I may type far less than that.




Wednesday's post talked about my Disco Priest "Toolbox" - what I had, and how I could use them. More theory than numbers, but that's okay. Better writers than I have touched on the numbers in very dedicated, very intelligent posts.

Not me, though. We're playing from the heart here at The Dungeon Runner. I've got a lone screen shot to work with, but I'll MS paint edit it up to show you things here and there and everywhere that require notation.

Pictured: Accurate representation of what I'm looking at. Not Pictured: Sonic the Hedgehog x Velen fanart (OTP)



This is the screenshot I want you to see. The player information is on the left - the five members of our party are all present. They're all alive, and doing quite well.

Now, a couple important points come up in this screenshot, so let's move on to a visible demonstration!

Million billion hours in MS Paint


Yes, I'm running out of mana. Below, right dead center of the screen is a number of timer bars from an add on called Quartz. Both of which are important for different reasons.

Firstly, I'm nearly bone dry on mana. As a healer this is a bad thing! Except, I'm not a good healer!

Let's call this "Red Lining" - pushing my mana supply so that I have a general idea of WHERE I stand - how much mana do I need for us to survive a run in Gnomeregan where it bugs and we have an army of mobs, riding twelve deep, charging for our heads? How much mana is "okay" before I absolutely need to replenish mana? This is the sort of "decision making" one makes frequently in dungeon crawler games - at what point are you punished for not playing it safe? For playing it TOO safe? Sometimes, you have to abuse that line until you realize where you're standing.

Secondly, I am running a timer add on known as Quartz, which can be found on Curse - it adds timer bars for all of your buffs and heals as a priest... but, admittedly, I snagged it so I can keep track of my Affliction Warlock's damage over time spells better. In this case, the screen shot above, I can prepare to "cook" spells (start a second spell cast just a few split seconds before the first cast ends) as I see spells "falling off" - while our dear tank is AOK right now, when "Weakened Soul" falls off, I can recast Power Word: Shield, replacing it with a fresh shield.

Ultimately, playing a Discipline Priest will demand a lot of attention, of awareness - it may be something I can manage without an add on, or I may decide playing a Disco Priest just isn't "for me."

In the meantime? Red lining. Lots of it.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how useful this info might be for you Snack, but remember at low levels that your goal ISN'T to keep everyone at full health. It's just to keep everyone breathing! It's a difficult line to tread, but if that DPS too a stray hit and is at 75%, but aren't getting hit again, leave them alone! They're fine.

    Also, as a Disc priest you have the terrific luxury of throwing a shield on the tank and then sitting down to drink, even while combat starts up. You can usually sneak a good 3-4 seconds of drinking before the shield breaks and you need to actually do something. Just keep your distance so you don't enter combat due to the proximity!

    Finally, don't underestimate the value of bandages at low levels! ESPECIALLY, again, as a Disc priest. Using the example of the DPS who was at 75% health, don't waste a heal on them - if the tank will be fine for a few seconds on their own (which is usually the case, with PW:S) just bandage that DPS up to top them off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I should know all this, but it makes sense to hear it! It feels like I'm gambling with everybody's lives to determine how far I can go in one direction or another with life meters, and it's kind of intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the tank has aggro, then there is no reason not to let your dps be less than 100%. If they have aggro, let them die. DPS need to learn to manage that early or they will not be fun to heal at 80/85. Can you get some gear with more int on it? Also, you may not need to HoT / heal up as much as a druid. A shield may be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes!! Seconded to the drinking thing, and I never even thought to mention it; I'll frequently bubble the tank and then guzzle juice as s/he runs into battle. Of course, for that to work the tank needs to know that bubble is on a timer and means "OGOGOGOGOGO!" (politely).

    Otherwise you sit there drinking as the (nice) tank stands there, bubbled and waiting for you to finish or the (mean) tank stands there shouting, "FFS ur out o mana agin?!? :O"

    PS- Liada probably just needs waaaaay more healing than your average tank, as she is- let's be frank- totes squishy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Deana: you're very much right about teaching "Good habits" early on. Beyond that, I have a near maniacal fixation on "EVERYBODY MUST LIVE" though I expect a run or two of Gnomeregan or Scarlet Monastery: Armory will cure me of that.

    @DA: I think it's a matter of not having the abilities that'll really make Liada shine. We'll have to play with these tricks a bit later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the time you get to Scarlet Monastery, you might not be healing anymore.

    Mind Control is the single most distracting spell ever for new priests. XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Christina: Mind Control is learned at level 38 now

    ReplyDelete
  8. SPEAKING OF MIND CONTROL

    It's fun, yeah. But see that caster mob at the back? The one that it would be so easy to MC and walk into the melee? Remember that if you MC them, you will proximity-aggro any mobs that are nearby! It's quite silly. They'll notice their buddy casting spell and not think anything of it, but as soon as you're at the controls, BAM HERE THEY COME!

    Not that I've ever discovered this the hard way...certainly not.

    ReplyDelete